Murphy was an Optimist
Intro: Murphy’s Law states that, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. Whenever/wherever there is something or someone dependable, find an instance in which it can fail/be faulty. Do something normally but make it have a different and unexpected outcome after trust in it has been established.
Top 5 Reliable Things that Can Unexpectedly Fail
- Language barrier.
- You could trip/fall, you could stumble upon an awkward moment and make it even more awkward, you could expect the portal to open up at a certain time and smack your face into a wall when it doesn’t.
- You could mean to say one thing but accidentally say another, you could alienate somebody with your accent, you could have no choice but to swallow your pride and ask for help in the form of an interpreter from somebody whom you dislike.
- A full moon turns you into a werewolf, your vindictive friend tells you she’s prepared to break up with her boyfriend just when you found out he’s decided to ask her to marry him, you are stuck in a dimension in which your typically attractive features aren’t considered attractive to the inhabiting aliens.
- Your ride doesn’t show up and you wait for hours in the rain, the flight you thought was first class to Oakland is actually coach to Auckland, your car breaks down in front of the house of your old high school bully.
- Your brother tells you to play it cool with the girl you like; she moves onto a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, you choose your college major based on what a trusted professor says; he is only pushing it because he is the head of that department, you are told not to serve spicy food to your house guest because he has a health condition; he, as well as everybody else at the table, is disappointed in how bland the dinner is.
Note: All five of these occur in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
- Platform 9 ¾ closing.
- Harry unwittingly speaking in Parseltongue.
- Hermione brewing her polyjuice potion with cat hair.
- The flying car.
- The Sorting Hat’s advice to Harry about joining Slytherin.